Hello Readers !!! In this blog we’ll see How we can create Infra alerts in apigee for API Monitoring. Infra alerts are important as your working instances may gets down, stopped or restarted. So it is important for all to know whenever this happens. This is useful and interesting topic to learn.
Let’s get started !!!
Infra Alerts in API Management plays a very vital role as your working instance may gets down or stopped due to some issues. This page provides the information about the infrastructure alerts related to memory usage in Apigee using metric absence configuration. It includes details about creating a policy to monitor memory usage and configuring alerts based on the absence of predefined metrics. This allows you to detect potential issues with memory utilisation and take proactive actions to ensure optimal performance and stability of the Apigee platform.
STEPS FOR INFRA ALERTS
To create an infra alerts follow the below steps:
Configuring Metric Based Alerts:
Step-1 These alerts are triggered by changing in API Metrics. Open the Create alerting policy page in the Google Cloud console.
STEP-2 Select a metric
STEP-3 Deselect Show only active resources & metrics
STEP-4 Select a metric as follows:
- Copy and paste the following in the Select metric field:
apigee.googleapis.com/VM Instance/instance/VM Memory Used
- Select VM Instance
- In the pane that opens to the right, select instance
- Then, VM Memory Used in the next pane
- Click Apply
STEP-5 Add a filter for the particular proxy you want to monitor as follows:
- Click Add Filter
- Click in the Filter field and select instance_group from the drop-down menu.
- In the Comparator, select =.
- In the Value field, type instance_group name
- Click Done.
You can use any filter you have in the filtering list to add filter for monitoring as:
Above image shows you the filter list.
- After clicking on Next, you have to choose the data for Configure Alert Trigger as below:
Configure the alert trigger
To configure the event that triggers the alert, first click Configure trigger in the left-hand pane. Then do the following steps:
- Under Condition type, select metric absence.
- In the Alert trigger field, select Any time series violates.
- In the Trigger Absence Time field, select 5 min
- In the Condition Nmae field, enter VM Instance – VM Memory Used.
With these settings, an alert will be triggered whenever a memory used metric is absent for over 5 mins.
- Click Next to open the Configure notifications and finalise alert pane.
Set up a notification for the alert
- Click in the Notification Channels field. If you have already created a channel for the notification, such as an email address or SMS number, you can select it under Notification Channels.Otherwise, you need to add a channel by selecting Manage Notification Channels. This opens the Notification channels pane, where you can add one or more channels. See Manage notification channels for more information.
- To add notification channel Click on Manage Notification Channels as shown below :
- Again when you click on Next a page will appear like this:
- Once you have selected one or more notification channels, click OK.
- In the Documentation field, you can add a message that will be sent with the notification.
- Click Next to review the details of the alert. If you are satisfied with them, click Create Policy to create the alerting policy.
In the above image you can see your alert policy is created but it will only trigger an alert when incident is open .
- Now to Add the notification channel click on MANAGE NOTIFICATION CHANNELS as shown.
- A page will appear like the below image :
- Click on ADD NEW to add the notification Channel like I have added for Email Notification below:
- when you click on ADD NEW a box will open like above and in that you have to give the Email Address and Display Name for your notification channel. Once you will click SAVE notification channel seems like this:
Below is the image shows you the Notification Channel type and the Channel Display Name.
- The alert met with the condition and the memory used metric is absent for about 5 mins then you will receive an alert. email like below:
By implementing a memory usage monitoring policy with metric absence triggers in Apigee, you can proactively detect situations where the expected memory usage metric is missing. This helps you identify potential issues with memory utilization and take necessary actions to maintain the stability and performance of your APIs. Regularly review the alerts dashboard, investigate the metric absence alerts, and address any underlying problems to ensure optimal operation of the Apigee infrastructure.